Benefits of Deeply and Unconditionally Loving Yourself.
Fashion + Self-Love Party, Day 12.
Guest post by Eliza from Aesthetic Distance.
Narcissism gets a bad rap in the media and pop culture. When we call someone a narcissist, it is almost never a compliment. They have a reputation for being sociopaths. We say we can’t stand them, but research shows we actually tend to view them as more confident, intelligent and attractive than other people. Sure, at the extreme (which is called Narcissistic Personality Disorder), it can lead to a lack of empathy and a sense of entitlement. But then why are so many narcissists successful and well-respected? Since we live in a world of “the personal brand,” I’m here to dispute the bad reputation of narcissism and talk about the good parts of being a narcissist.
1. Narcissists tend to report high self-esteem, happiness and life-satisfaction. They tend to be rated by others as likeable when first met, are good at performing in social situations, and tend to win in competitive tasks. (The Guardian)
2. They are natural leaders. A recent study conducted by accredited psychologist Oliver James, has classified the four types of people who excel in business: psychopaths, Machiavellians, narcissists and the amalgamation of all three. (Elite Daily)
3. Healthy narcissism is related to self-esteem and self-worth. It’s taking pleasure in one’s own beauty, in the workings of one’s mind, in the accomplishment of a tough job well done. There is nothing wrong with believing you deserve your own success. (Psychology Today)
4. They are often seen as good entertainment because they love to talk, socialize and can charm others easily. (Huffington Post)
5. They will live longer and look younger. This is because they put in more effort in working out, eating right, skincare, and grooming. (The Telegraph UK)
Moral of the story: aim for healthy narcissism. You’ll feel better and be more successful in your personal relationships, life and in business.
What do you think?
What ideas can you come up with to aim for a healthy dose of deep, unconditional love for yourself?
Let us know in the comments!
Recommended Posts Written by Eliza:
The Fashion + Self-Love Party is over...
Bring the party to
Sign up to be ready for
next year's event!
Blog party posts, games, giveaway updates, fashion inspiration, and party favors! All sent to your inbox during our 14-day party!